Boudoir photography has become popular and for a reason. Boudoir albums are excellent wedding day gifts to your future husband.
First thing, boudoir and being sexy doesn’t necessarily always mean less clothing. Clothing, lingerie, or implied nudity can all be sexy in their own right. Boudoir albums are an elegant gift – in the end it’s the person that makes the photo.
If you’re wondering whether a boudoir photo shoot is for you, we’ve answered the questions you might have in this article.
Before creating sensual and classy images, there are a few things to know about a boudoir session. We cover the basics so that you know what to expect from your boudoir photography shoot.
What is boudoir photography?
Boudoir photography is a photography style that varies from fashion portraits to glamour photography. Essential to the style is elegance, sensuality and seductiveness. The term boudoir comes from the French word which means a woman’s private salon. Typically women are the ones who want to create boudoir photos for their fiancé, but men are more than welcome to explore it too.
These photoshoots are meant to express sensuality and are usually intimate in nature. Boudoir photos will usually have racy lingerie, flowers and other sultry elements. In these images women pose seductively to profess ownership over their sexuality.
Boudoir images are for regular women, anyone can decide to have their pictures taken in a boudoir style.
Getting your pictures taken in a boudoir session will give you a confidence boost on your journey of self-discovery.
What is the purpose of boudoir photos?
As a woman, I understand that once we look in the mirror we might sometimes be unhappy with what we see. Boudoir is a celebration of your body and who you are.
You’ll be overcoming a huge fear when having your photos taken; it’s not easy to pose in your lingerie and to give yourself the permission to be sensual and desirable.
But once you see the photos, it will all be worth it. A professional photographer will help you out with correct posing and to highlight every aspect of your beauty. Even the parts we’ve not that fond of showing.
Don’t feel guilty about scheduling a boudoir shoot for yourself. You’ll be walking out the photoshoot more confident, uplifted and happy.
Boudoir photos can also be a celebration when you’ve lost weight or are getting married. To cherish who you are and to fully love and accept yourself.
How to model for boudoir photography?
Some of the boudoir poses can be tricky, but a great photographer will direct you with an ease, so that you’ll feel comfortable and empowered during the poses.
If you’re feeling uneasy in specific poses, do communicate this to the photographer, though it is something a professional will be able to tell without you having to point it out.
Confidence is something that that can be easily felt, but so is gracelessness. So remember to speak up if anything feels uncomfortable even in the slightest bit.
Practicing allows you to feel more comfortable in front of the camera. And it also helps you understand what poses work the best for you.
Sometimes just being open and spontaneous will result in stunning images.
Where can I get boudoir picture taken?
Some photographers offer boudoir sessions in their studios, others photograph clients in locations.
On location photoshoots might feel more natural, specifically if they’re done in the home of the client. When the surroundings are familiar, it is easier to let go and go with the flow of the photo session.
Try to find inspirational images that you can show to your photographer so that you can decide on the location based on that.
What is the cost of boudoir photography?
The average cost of a boudoir photo shoot is typically in the vicinity of $200 to $500, but that’s just for the photo session, the part where they take the pictures.
It usually does not include any images such as albums, wall art, or digital files. This is where things can get confusing trying to figure out if you can afford one or not.
When to give boudoir photos to your fiancé?
There are different times when brides gift their boudoir albums to their fiancé. The most popular is gifting them the night before the wedding.
But you can also gift them on the morning of the wedding or on the night the wedding after it’s over.
It’s fun to witness the reaction of the groom when you decide to deliver the boudoir album on the morning of the wedding. Some brides do not wish to see their partner prior to the ceremony, so the gift is often delivered by a close friend or a bridesmaid.
And if you’re not delivering the gift in person, remember to tell your wedding photographer the you’ll be gifting him boudoir photos so that they can catch their reaction.
Boudoir photography tips
What do you need for a boudoir photoshoot
- Moisturize. Remember to moisturize your body, feet and of course your face. Glowing and hydrated skin is a must in any photoshoot!
- If you’re the one doing the makeup, do it prior to arriving to the photoshoot, especially if you want it done properly which will take some time and won’t be away from the time planned for the photoshoot. If you’re not doing your makeup yourself, wash and moisturize your face before you arrive to the photoshoot.
- Trim / wax your overgrown brows or other hair you do not want to show in the pictures. Everything can be edited after the photoshoot, but the less work there is, the less time it will consume the photographer to deliver the photos.
- Manicure / pedicure if you’re into those. They bring effortless elegance to any photo and give a great final touch so you can be sure nothing is imperfect during the photoshoot.
- Eat before you arrive, if possible. Yes, you might think it will make you look more bloated, but trust me, you do not want to perform or try to pose feeling good, when truthfully you’re hungry and not feeling well.
- This one is important: wear loose clothes before you arrive. This way there will not be any strange lines from your bras, panties or socks on your skin.
- Even if you don’t usually like to tan, having a nice healthy glow on your skin is definitely a plus. It will even out the tone of your skin and cover any redness or veins we all as humans have.
What to wear to a boudoir photo shoot?
The best tip is to bring more than you think you’ll need. You’ve discussed your desired looks with your photographer and you will have an idea of what you’ll be wearing for the photoshoot. But to bring anything extra you think might work int he pictures is always a good thing.
Items you could bring:
- Your favorite sexy / sensual dress
- Heels or boots
- Sexy jeans
- Button up shirt – oversized shirts look great – off the shoulder shirt, sweater, or sweatshirt
- Sexy undergarments, nighties, and robes
- Accessories like jewellery and scarfs
- Sensual stockings and a garter belt set
Tops tips on what to wear
Sensual and light textures like silk, lace and satin look amazing on all of shapes and sizes and they bring that flirty, desired look into the photos.
Avoid patterns or prints or anything that might be distracting to the eye.
Choose undergarments based on the overall look for each photo. If you’ve decided to have a black colored clothes in a certain look, bring black undergarments with it. Otherwise choose stunning sets to have with you; that’s one thing you can invest in even if you don’t have anything remotely sensual in your lingerie – it won’t go to waste and can be worn in future intimate endeavours.
Bring jewellery, hair accessories, and scarves or wraps to complete each outfit. Choose timeless over trendy.
Boudoir photography ideas
1. Booking a stunning location
If you want an elevated look for your photos, a high-end hotel room or other luxury space will give that oomph to your boudoir photos.
2. Laying in bed
This can be done in any bed, but if you enjoy the decor in your own home, you’ll feel more confident and comfortable photographing there. Posing in bed can be done in so many ways, so not only being comfy it’ll also be versatile.
3. Sensual pantyhose
Nice stockings and pantyhose give beautiful shape to the body. Stockings are a must in any sensual photoshoot, since they’re so tightly linked to intimate parts and things that are unseen.
4. Taking it outside
Choosing a location can also be outside. Especially in soft photoshoots, being in nature brings more playfulness to the photos.
5. Sheer material brings sensuality
As discussed before, different textures bring different associations and silk and sheer materials communicate tenderness and sensuality.